Monday, May 21, 2007

Angkor

greetings from Siem Reap! fi & I reached Siem Reap after a 12hr bus ride with an hour break in between last night. Our first thought upon reaching our hotel was relief that we are not dead yet. our bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap consisted of less than 10 people out of which only 2 of us are girls and the rest of non-english speaking men. the bus stopped at some godforsaken place in a middle of the road, the only civilisation nearby was a roadside stall. we were then mobbed by a group of motorbikers who wanted to give us a lift to our hotel, and we have no choice but to trust and take 1 of them else there is no way to get to our hotel at 8pm at night. I was on one bike with my haversack and fi on another with her hugeass luaggage. we are talking about a motorbike here, mind you. We managed to get a last room in the hotel so after all the drama, we are now safe at a touristy area.

We visited Angkor today and busted our memory card space. Our pictures will come will a disclaimer that says "taken with our blood, sweat and more sweat". weather is blistering hot!

p/s: I'm totally abandoned by my own race, Vietnamese think I am Vietnamese. And in Cambodia, under the disgusting sun, I am çonverted to a Cambodian. Put me in the sun somemore and I'd become a bengala soon.

Angkor is spectacular, you have to see it for yourself really. Rather wiped out from all climbing and walking.

We are running out of money, trying to enjoy our time in Siem reap which is much more peaceful than ho Chi Minh which is really chaotic and not a single inch of clean air for us to breathe.

Heading back to HCMC day after tomorrow, spend another day there and its home sweet home.

No comments: